This from the letter about the history of Alamo Drafthouse Cinema:
"In 1997, my wife and I opened the very first single screen Alamo Drafthouse (in Austin, Texas). We didn't have any qualifications except for one -- we were devoted movie fans. We were lucky to find that to be most important qualification of all. Since then, have made the Alamo Drafthouse the theater for movie fans by movie fans.
We have a few simple principles that we uphold in our day to day operation:
- We don't allow unaccompanied kids at movies and only allow babies at select "baby day" screenings.
- We have a zero-tolerance policy towards talking and texting during the movie. If you talk or text, you will receive one warning. If it happens again, you will be kicked out without a refund.
- We strive to be leaders in presentation quality.
- We support local breweries.
- We strive to serve quality, fresh-prepared food.
As the Alamo Drafthouse grows, we remain dedicated to keeping the movie-watching experience safe for movie fans, serving quality food and drinks, and upholding high presentation standards. We are also striving to achieve long term goals by expanding the theater to new neighborhoods..."
They had me at "We have a zero-tolerance policy towards talking and texting during the movie. If you talk or text, you will receive one warning. If it happens again, you will be kicked out without a refund." Really, I am not kidding. I love these guys. They have expanded to other cities in Texas and the rest of the US. I have experienced the awesomeness of seeing a movie at an Alamo Drafthouse cinema. One of the best things are their public service announcements about not texting or answering your phone. Here are some of my favourites,in random order: